The Ranch - New Beginning
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Azuara's Road House

2 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Azuara's Road House - Page 2 Empty Re: Azuara's Road House

Post  SkyeAzuara Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:31 pm

“Whoa, hey, Skye! Hold on. There’s storage underneath for the bulk of what you don’t need right away.” He got to the truck.

"What?" Skye shifted back and ended up flopping unceremoniously into the passenger seat. "Oh..." Shrugging, she smiled sheepishly.

“Gimme a second to load most of this and I’ll help you out up there.”

"Yeah, sure." Leaning over the seat again, she started pulling out what she had put there and moving it to the floor.

He opened a storage compartment and began shoving the ammunition into it, withholding what he would need to load the weapons, and some back up clips. He stepped up and opened the drivers door, then loaded the shotguns and the M4 in the seat.

Sitting cross-legged in the passenger seat, she watched him as he handled the weapons. While she wasn't adverse to guns, she was afraid of them, and had never handled one before. And the thought that they might actually need them at some point frightened her. Still, she didn't say anything, trusting that he knew what they might need.

“Hey, really, plenty of room below. I’ll be around the other side.” he said as he laid the Lady Smith and the back up forty-five next to the long guns. He stepped down and jogged around the truck. “Hand me what I can put under here. There’s some food right? And I hope, some coffee.”

"Um, there's food in the cafe, I wasn't sure what you might need." Hopping to the ground, she started putting her things into the compartment that he'd opened, only keeping out a backpack that has her ID and other essentials. "You want to go in there ad pick the place over? There's a propane burner so we can heat water...oh, and we just got the water delivery a couple days ago, so there's a few full containers." She would let him pick what they might need.
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:27 am

“Hand me what I can put under here. There’s some food right? And I hope, some coffee.”

"Um, there's food in the cafe, I wasn't sure what you might need." Hopping to the ground, she started putting her things into the compartment that he'd opened, only keeping out a backpack that has her ID and other essentials. "You want to go in there and pick the place over? There's a propane burner so we can heat water...oh, and we just got the water delivery a couple days ago, so there's a few full containers." She would let him pick what they might need.

“Well, she’s big, but bottled ater by the case would be great, otherwise, maybe some kind of jugs for now. Any canned meats? That sort of thing. Again, sad to say, but we’ll find what we need along the way.” Jack responded. “But we’ve time to make some coffee, I have a couple of thermoses for that and one for water too.”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

http://nevadagunfighters.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:35 pm

“Well, she’s big, but bottled ater by the case would be great, otherwise, maybe some kind of jugs for now. Any canned meats? That sort of thing. Again, sad to say, but we’ll find what we need along the way.” Jack responded. “But we’ve time to make some coffee, I have a couple of thermoses for that and one for water too.”

"We just have the five gallon jugs," Sky answered, looking up at him. "And sure, I can make us some coffee." Then she glanced at the cafe, thinking over his words. Yes, there would be a lot of places like this all over the country, abandon yet still stocked.

Sighing, she started back toward the building, her hand hanging so she could scratch Chump's ears, an unconscious gesture she didn't really realize she was doing. "There are some canned goods, but Dad was a stickler for fresh, homemade. We could check out the market."
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:11 am

“But we’ve time to make some coffee, I have a couple of thermoses for that and one for water too.”

"We just have the five gallon jugs," Sky answered, looking up at him. "And sure, I can make us some coffee." Then she glanced at the cafe, thinking over his words. Yes, there would be a lot of places like this all over the country, abandon yet still stocked.

Sighing, she started back toward the building, her hand hanging so she could scratch Chump's ears, an unconscious gesture she didn't really realize she was doing. "There are some canned goods, but Dad was a stickler for fresh, homemade. We could check out the market."

“Well, we make some coffee, grab up what canned goods you have, check the market, and we’re on our way.” Jack replied following after her, Chump trotting along. “You know, like I said, we’ll run onto some markets, quick-stop stations, our whole world has changed Skye. Finding men like Frank and Tim to deal with will be harder. Human nature I suppose. Anyway, let’s get this stuff and get going. I’ll feel better on the road.”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:24 pm

“Well, we make some coffee, grab up what canned goods you have, check the market, and we’re on our way.” Jack replied following after her, Chump trotting along. “You know, like I said, we’ll run onto some markets, quick-stop stations, our whole world has changed Skye. Finding men like Frank and Tim to deal with will be harder. Human nature I suppose. Anyway, let’s get this stuff and get going. I’ll feel better on the road.”

"Yeah, all right. I'll get the coffee if you want to rummage through things." Skye stepped into the shop and headed behind the counter, trying not to think too much about the fact that this might be the last time she ever made coffee here. "Grill's still hot if you want to eat," she commented, on a whim tossing Chump a ground beef patty. Not like she was going to need it. Then she tossed one on the grill for herself.
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:12 am

Finding men like Frank and Tim to deal with will be harder. Human nature I suppose. Anyway, let’s get this stuff and get going. I’ll feel better on the road.”

"Yeah, all right. I'll get the coffee if you want to rummage through things." Skye stepped into the shop and headed behind the counter, trying not to think too much about the fact that this might be the last time she ever made coffee here. "Grill's still hot if you want to eat," she commented, on a whim tossing Chump a ground beef patty. Not like she was going to need it. Then she tossed one on the grill for herself.

“Yah, a burger would be good, didn’t quite get to order earlier. Whatever you’ve got that’s easy.” Jack replied. Trying to keep it light, but realizing he was probably failing miserably. He was sure that his family was gone, but he had not seen proof, just phone calls that weren’t answered. “Ill just grab up what we can use and stash it in the truck while you get that ready.”

He found the pantry and found a few canned goods that were useable. The store she mentioned would likely yield some more. And of course there would be those places along the way to wherever they were going to end up. He came out the air filled with the sounds and smells of the sizzling hamburgers, and that was good. “Be right back..” He jogged out to the truck and put the bag in the cab, grabbed his two thermoses and then jogged back inside. “Okay, here’s the Thermoses, were about ready.”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:50 pm

When he came back in Skye had two burgers set out, deluxe ones, with all the works -- bacon, avocado, jalapeno, cheese...

"Well, this is it," she murmured, "the 'All or Nothing' burger." She smiled sadly, then started to eat, silently munching on the burger.

OFF:
Feel free to get us on the road!
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:03 am

When he came back in Skye had two burgers set out, deluxe ones, with all the works -- bacon, avocado, jalapeno, cheese...

"Well, this is it," she murmured, "the 'All or Nothing' burger." She smiled sadly, then started to eat, silently munching on the burger.

Jack looked at the creation, he smiled. “Good name.” He said. He picked it up in both hands and took a bite. It was hot, and it was good. Just what he needed. “ He washed the first bite down with a swallow from his cup of coffee. “We'll take I-24 to 55 north, Saint Louis will be the first headache, getting through, or around it. If there are loonies, that would be where I’d say we’d really see them.” He paused as he started to take another bite. “Although problems could pop up anywhere.” he took another bite of the burger. “We stop for nothing. I have enough fuel to get us past Saint Louis, almost to Iowa. There are some smaller stops on either side we can use to refuel.” He aid that as he chewed, not concerned with manners, just trying to get the route mapped out verbally. “You ever shoot a gun?”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:33 pm

Jack looked at the creation, he smiled. “Good name.” He said. He picked it up in both hands and took a bite. It was hot, and it was good. Just what he needed. He washed the first bite down with a swallow from his cup of coffee. “We'll take I-24 to 55 north, Saint Louis will be the first headache, getting through, or around it. If there are loonies, that would be where I’d say we’d really see them.” He paused as he started to take another bite. “Although problems could pop up anywhere.” he took another bite of the burger.

Skye nodded, not really having input. "Never been to St. Louis," she commented, "well, never been anywhere but Elko, where I grew up. Odd time to be seeingthe country."

“We stop for nothing. I have enough fuel to get us past Saint Louis, almost to Iowa. There are some smaller stops on either side we can use to refuel.” He aid that as he chewed, not concerned with manners, just trying to get the route mapped out verbally. “You ever shoot a gun?”

"What? No..." She shook her head vehemently. "We never even owned one." Her expression clearly showed that she was uncomfortable with the topic. "Why? Do you think we might have to?" That was more than she had bargained for!
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:23 pm

“You ever shoot a gun?”

"What? No..." She shook her head vehemently. "We never even owned one." Her expression clearly showed that she was uncomfortable with the topic. "Why? Do you think we might have to?" That was more than she had bargained for!

He paused. “Figured a girl from Nevada would have been around guns.” He said. “Well, I don’t know. I sincerely hope we don’t have to defend ourselves, but it is a distinct possibility. With services breaking down, well, there is a segment of society that given free reign would not hesitate to well, to do what they want, take what they want,” He exhaled heavily. “This won’t be pleasant, either out there or if you wait on it to arrive here, and it will.”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:06 pm

He paused. “Figured a girl from Nevada would have been around guns.” He said.

"Dad wasn't too keen on guns after Nam," she explained. "He had a rifle when we were herding sheep, but he never let me near it." She took a sip of iced tea, then added, "Do you think we'll need them?"

“Well, I don’t know. I sincerely hope we don’t have to defend ourselves, but it is a distinct possibility. With services breaking down, well, there is a segment of society that given free reign would not hesitate to well, to do what they want, take what they want,” He exhaled heavily. “This won’t be pleasant, either out there or if you wait on it to arrive here, and it will.”

Skye let out a soft sigh, setting the remainder of her burger down. "You're right, unless things get better, and it sure doesn't seem like that. Anyway, I'm about ready." Out of habit she cleared her place, rinsing her plate and putting it into the big dishwasher, then she shrugged. "I'll just be a minute," she murmured, "go ahead and finish." Then she headed out the back.
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:22 am

“This won’t be pleasant, either out there or if you wait on it to arrive here, and it will.”

Skye let out a soft sigh, setting the remainder of her burger down. "You're right, unless things get better, and it sure doesn't seem like that. Anyway, I'm about ready." Out of habit she cleared her place, rinsing her plate and putting it into the big dishwasher, then she shrugged. "I'll just be a minute," she murmured, "go ahead and finish." Then she headed out the back.

Jack really had no illusions, if they were unaffected, how many others would be? How many others would be looking for the safety of numbers, a safe place to hole up? And how many out there would be banding together to do as they pleased, not that some areas weren’t that way already, even with full services.

A young woman alone in a place like this, she’d be easy pickin’s, and he knew, it wouldn’t be a pleasant end to her existence. This would be like Iraq or Afghanistan in some respects, hopefully the bad guys wouldn’t get into IUD’s, though that was certainly a possibility. He savored what was left of his cup of coffee, finished it, then made a trip to the john and returned to take up his thermoses, and wait on Skye. It was time to get on the road.
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:00 pm

It was only as she was walking away from life as she knew it that Skye had realized she had forgotten something. Going back to the house, she ran in quickly, then a few moments later was trotting over to the truck, carrying a stuffed teddy bear. As she reached the truck, she looked at Jack and shrugged. "It was Mom's. Dad gave it to her on their first date." She smiled sadly, then helped Chump into the big truck and climbed in after him. After buckling herself in, she hugged the bear to her chest and crossed her legs under her, then closed her eyes.

She wouldn't look back...
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:44 am

As she reached the truck, she looked at Jack and shrugged. "It was Mom's. Dad gave it to her on their first date." She smiled sadly, then helped Chump into the big truck and climbed in after him. After buckling herself in, she hugged the bear to her chest and crossed her legs under her, then closed her eyes.

“Glad you went back for it. That would be difficult to replace.” He looked at her and smiled as he started the diesel engine. “Not to worry Skye, we’ll be fine, and with any luck . . . this great country will pull itself back together before we know it.” The words sounded hollow as they came out, but he had hope, not that he doubted what it would take. “Okay.” He eased out the clutch and the Peterbuilt rolled forward, gravel crunching under the massive wheels. “Here we go. And, we’re not stopping for anything. Just have a feeling that we need to keep moving. Besides, there’s nothing we can do for anyone we see that’s sick.”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:59 pm

“Glad you went back for it. That would be difficult to replace.” He looked at her and smiled as he started the diesel engine.

"Thanks," she murmured, glad that he understood and didn't think she was being a child. But having something tangible to cling to helped her focus.

“Not to worry Skye, we’ll be fine, and with any luck . . . this great country will pull itself back together before we know it.” The words sounded hollow as they came out, but he had hope, not that he doubted what it would take. “Okay.” He eased out the clutch and the Peterbuilt rolled forward, gravel crunching under the massive wheels. “Here we go. And, we’re not stopping for anything. Just have a feeling that we need to keep moving. Besides, there’s nothing we can do for anyone we see that’s sick.”

She nodded, sighing. "Sorry I'm not very good company." Of course, he understood, how could he not. Then she dug in her pack and pulled out a Muddy Waters CD. "Would you mind playing this? It was Dad's favorite." She didn't particularly care for it herself, but the blues held memories for her, and she needed those at the moment.
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:41 am

. “Here we go. And, we’re not stopping for anything. Just have a feeling that we need to keep moving. Besides, there’s nothing we can do for anyone we see that’s sick.”

She nodded, sighing. "Sorry I'm not very good company." Of course, he understood, how could he not. Then she dug in her pack and pulled out a Muddy Waters CD. "Would you mind playing this? It was Dad's favorite." She didn't particularly care for it herself, but the blues held memories for her, and she needed those at the moment.

“Yah sure. No problem.” Jack said and pushed the eject button, releasing the CD in the player. “Wasn’t listening to anything when I rolled in anyway, and Muddy Waters sounds good. Just put it in.” As he slipped the CD he took out into the holder on his visor he eased the rig out onto the street then began shifting gears. The blues music began filling the cab as they hit the interstate, picking up speed, and leaving the small town in the ever increasing distance. “You alright?”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:00 pm

“Yah sure. No problem.” Jack said and pushed the eject button, releasing the CD in the player. “Wasn’t listening to anything when I rolled in anyway, and Muddy Waters sounds good. Just put it in.” As he slipped the CD he took out into the holder on his visor he eased the rig out onto the street then began shifting gears. The blues music began filling the cab as they hit the interstate, picking up speed, and leaving the small town in the ever increasing distance.

Hugging the bear more tightly, Skye hid her face against the soft fur as the mellow voice started singing. Tears damped the faux fur.

“You alright?”

She nodded, not ready to look at him just yet. She was silent as the song played, then finally sniffled and looked up. "I'm all right," she murmured, wiping her eyes with her sleeve, "just...everything..." She sniffled and chuckled all at the same time, then sighed. "Thank you for helping me. I know Dad would feel better."
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:13 am

The blues music began filling the cab as they hit the interstate, picking up speed, and leaving the small town in the ever increasing distance.

Hugging the bear more tightly, Skye hid her face against the soft fur as the mellow voice started singing. Tears damped the faux fur.

“You alright?”

Jack got the truck to cruising speed, for him, that was seventy miles per hour. The road was desolate, several vehicles off to the sides of the pavement, even a couple in the lanes where their drivers had expired in their failed bid to out run the virus.

She nodded, not ready to look at him just yet. She was silent as the song played, then finally sniffled and looked up. "I'm all right," she murmured, wiping her eyes with her sleeve, "just...everything..." She sniffled and chuckled all at the same time, then sighed. "Thank you for helping me. I know Dad would feel better."

“I . . .I know this has to be tough on you, but we’re alive, and we don’t seem to show any symptoms so we need to distance ourselves from this.” He paused. “I have to make a run to my place, useless I know, but I need to see for myself. Then . . . well, well maybe west to the open county. I don’t know. We need to find a refuge. We’ll fuel every place we see, well, that seems safe because when the power goes, we won’t be able to pump from the stations.”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:44 pm

“I . . .I know this has to be tough on you, but we’re alive, and we don’t seem to show any symptoms so we need to distance ourselves from this.”

"I know," she muttered, nodding. She just needed to get over the first few minutes and get used to the idea.

He paused. “I have to make a run to my place, useless I know, but I need to see for myself. Then . . . well, well maybe west to the open county. I don’t know. We need to find a refuge. We’ll fuel every place we see, well, that seems safe because when the power goes, we won’t be able to pump from the stations.”

"Sounds reasonable. I have a few thousand in cash from the restaurant receipts," Skye commented, looking out the big windshield at the cloudy skies ahead of them. Despite being on an interstate, the scenery was lush and beautiful, and she focused on the music and countryside.

"So, where is 'home'?"

SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:20 am

“We’ll fuel every place we see, well, that seems safe because when the power goes, we won’t be able to pump from the stations.”

"Sounds reasonable. I have a few thousand in cash from the restaurant receipts," Skye commented, looking out the big windshield at the cloudy skies ahead of them. Despite being on an interstate, the scenery was lush and beautiful, and she focused on the music and countryside.

"So, where is 'home'?"

“Fairfield Iowa.” He responded, a catch in his voice. “I have a company fuel card, so cash may not be needed, in fact, I have this feeling it will become all but useless. “ He paused. “We’re maybe seven, eight hours from home. I mean there. About four hundred forty miles from your place. We shouldn’t have any trouble getting there. With all that’s happening, well, maybe Saint Louis, but we can get around that. That would be the biggest city between here and Fairfield. We’ll be good.” he assured her, even though he wasn’t altogether sure of anything.
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:30 pm

“Fairfield Iowa.” He responded, a catch in his voice. “I have a company fuel card, so cash may not be needed, in fact, I have this feeling it will become all but useless.“

"Yeah, too bad that it took the end of the world for that," Skye chuckled in a sad attempt at humor.

He paused. “We’re maybe seven, eight hours from home. I mean there. About four hundred forty miles from your place. We shouldn’t have any trouble getting there. With all that’s happening, well, maybe Saint Louis, but we can get around that. That would be the biggest city between here and Fairfield. We’ll be good.” he assured her, even though he wasn’t altogether sure of anything.

"There are stops without going into St. Louis, aren't there. I agree that it's probably best to stay out of bigger cities." Skye glanced at him, then relaxed as she sat upright, easing her grip on the bear. "So, you been driving long?" she asked by way of conversation to fill the silence. She flinched a little as a fat drop of rain smacked into the windshield, followed by another.
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:29 am

With all that’s happening, well, maybe Saint Louis, but we can get around that. That would be the biggest city between here and Fairfield. We’ll be good.” he assured her, even though he wasn’t altogether sure of anything.

"There are stops without going into St. Louis, aren't there. I agree that it's probably best to stay out of bigger cities." Skye glanced at him, then relaxed as she sat upright, easing her grip on the bear. "So, you been driving long?" she asked by way of conversation to fill the silence. She flinched a little as a fat drop of rain smacked into the windshield, followed by another.

“There are plenty of truck stops along the way, not to worry, we’ll find fuel so long as the power holds out and stays on, and I figure we’ve maybe a day, day and half before we need to worry about that.” Jack replied confidently. We get to Burlington we can change over to my truck at the yard, better millage. I think this weather will help as well. No matter what, people hate to get wet." He paused. "Just the same, time comes to fuel, I’ll need you to cover me. Not that I think things have decayed to that point, but you never know about people.” He looked at her as he flipped on the windshield wipers. “Good music to drive by, blues and the rain.”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:08 pm

"Cover you?" She glanced at him, then nodded. "You'd better show me how, first...I'd hate to shoot you in the..um, backside, you know?" A small grin played over her lips. "I always did want to do some traveling, but this isn't exactly what I had in mind. I bet you've seen a lot."

The rain and wind both were picking up as the skies continued to darken...
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:05 am

"Cover you?" She glanced at him, then nodded. "You'd better show me how, first...I'd hate to shoot you in the..um, backside, you know?" A small grin played over her lips. "I always did want to do some traveling, but this isn't exactly what I had in mind. I bet you've seen a lot."

The rain and wind both were picking up as the skies continued to darken...[/I]

“I will, don’t worry. I could be way off base, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.” he said as the cross winds buffeted the truck as it rolled north. “Whoever caused this, which I still don’t want to believe, but somehow I do. Whoever that is, well, I certainly see them looking for survivors. I have no idea how, but if the plan was to eliminate the worlds population I’d say they are well organized and have a back up plan if phase one failed. Pretty dreary stuff, huh?”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:45 pm

“I will, don’t worry. I could be way off base, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.” he said as the cross winds buffeted the truck as it rolled north.

"Well, I hope you're right, but then, people can be pretty unpredictable under circumstances like this." Skye shrugged. While she didn't want to believe in people's darker nature, she wasn't that ignorant!

“Whoever caused this, which I still don’t want to believe, but somehow I do. Whoever that is, well, I certainly see them looking for survivors. I have no idea how, but if the plan was to eliminate the worlds population I’d say they are well organized and have a back up plan if phase one failed. Pretty dreary stuff, huh?”

"You really think they'll be looking for survivors?" She glanced over at him, alarmed, but realizing his reasoning was sound. "You know, this was wide-spread, worldwide all at once, so it was coordinated. There have to be nuts all over the place, right?" She shuddered at the thought. Bad enough they had caused the virus, but then to hunt down any survivors..?
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum