The Ranch - New Beginning
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fellow Travelers (Max, Jack, Sarah, Skye and the dogs!)

4 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Fellow Travelers (Max, Jack, Sarah, Skye and the dogs!) Empty Fellow Travelers (Max, Jack, Sarah, Skye and the dogs!)

Post  SkyeAzuara Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:22 pm

With practiced ease Jack was moving, the automatic in hand, slipping through the weeds until he was along side of the girl. He could see the trail of crushed weeds where the dog had gone. “Best we go after him. Before he gets too far away from us.”

"Really?" Skye glanced at Jack and broke into a smile, glad for the chance to go after the dog. She'd been ready just to go back to the truck and wait, but now that she had been given leave, she gladly started out into the open field, jogging after the dog.

The night was still overcast, so there wasn't even starlight to see by, although she could make out shapes like trees, enough that she could move fairly easily, as long as the ground stayed fairly level.

Chump's excited yap sounded to their right, not far off, and she changed direction. "Chump!" she called, trying to keep her voice low, although in the open, it was still loud...

Last edited by SkyeAzuara on Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Fellow Travelers (Max, Jack, Sarah, Skye and the dogs!) Empty Re: Fellow Travelers (Max, Jack, Sarah, Skye and the dogs!)

Post  SkyeAzuara Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:27 pm

Wagging his tail frantically, Chump followed his nose at a brisk trot, focused on finding the other dogs. As he got closer, he could hear them now, and the Human as well, and as he approached the house, he let out a friendly yap in greeting.
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Fellow Travelers (Max, Jack, Sarah, Skye and the dogs!) Empty Re: Fellow Travelers (Max, Jack, Sarah, Skye and the dogs!)

Post  Maxwell Eugene Karnage Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:09 am

Max heard a dog yap out at the edge of the yard, followed closely by a decidely female voice, evidently calling the dog while trying to be quiet.

The Max saw the little dog as it bounded across the snow covered yard. "Dixie, go play." Max whispered and the brown little coy-dog bounded off the porch and ran to meet the strange dog. Max knew from experience, if the strange little dog got agressive, his little coy-dog was more than capable of taking care of herself in a fight.

Meanwhile Shiloh, his 120 pound German Shepard, had lost interest in the dog and had his big ears tracking the human...or humans out there in the darkness.

Just as Dixie was getting nose to nose with the dog for a typical dog, tail wagging and sniffing party, Max brought his left thumb around the pistol grip of his rifle and eased the safety lever to Semi and put his thumb back around the grip, while his trigger finger lay along the side of the trigger guard, ready to reach in and begin squeezing off a either single well placed rounds or a high volume of fire.....
Maxwell Eugene Karnage
Maxwell Eugene Karnage

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:06 pm

Though Jack had a feeling of uneasiness, it was not as if he thought they might be set upon at any moment. But the dog running off hadn’t been expected. But it was for sure that Chump was on to something, which the yapping, so all he could do was follow Skye and see where it led them.

"Chump?" Skye recognized her dog's low growl-whine that indicated that he had found something, and it was close by. In another few steps, she was beside the dog, and knelt down, scratching his neck. "Looks like you have a friend," she commented, never thinking that another dog could very well mean people nearby.

"Hi, there," she greeted the other dog, but then she thought she heard something and looked up, only then noticing the house several yards away. It was a vague outline in the darkness, and she couldn't tell if anyone was there. Gasping, she pulled Chump to her, her free hand still gripping the pistol.

Then she just froze...
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxwell Eugene Karnage Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Max observed the woman quietly as she moved about in the darkness at the edge of the yard and spoke to what was evidently her dog.

He saw a glint of metal in her hand and realized it could be a weapon....and who would blame her for having one....but he remained silent after glancing over at Shiloh and noting that his look and his ears told more to the story....there was still someone else out there in the dark....someone who had as yet to reveal themselves.....better to remain silent for the moment.....

Dixie remained close to the woman, sniffing her and the dog for a moment, then turned and stared past her into the darkness, a low growl rumbling up in her throat......
Maxwell Eugene Karnage
Maxwell Eugene Karnage

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:29 am

Dixie remained close to the woman, sniffing her and the dog for a moment, then turned and stared past her into the darkness, a low growl rumbling up in her throat......

Moving toward the sound of the dogs yap and then Skye’s voice. Plowing through the chest high weeds was slow going, and then he heard the low growl that meant another animal was alerted to his presence. He could just make out the silhouette of a man. And that man was armed. He sensed no danger, caution for sure, but no immediate danger.

“Hello. I’m with the girl.” He called out, hoping they wouldn’t be trading shots.
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

http://nevadagunfighters.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxwell Eugene Karnage Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:06 am

“Hello. I’m with the girl.” He called out, hoping they wouldn’t be trading shots.

Max maintained his position behind the porch column, his one eye sighting along the top of his rifle sights....

He called out, "Dixie...Hold 'em" and Dixie moved instantly around in between them and Max and assumed a posture that clearly indicated she would be all over the strangers if they made a move towards the house.

"You folks just stay where you are, whilst we get things sorted out....otherwise things might get real ugly, real fast....Understood?" Max said in his obvious southern drawl.
Maxwell Eugene Karnage
Maxwell Eugene Karnage

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:13 pm

"I...I was just getting my dog," Skye added, her voice reflecting her fear. "We'll go...we were going to camp, but we'll just go, find someplace else." She stayed crouched down, too frightened to even move, much the less stand.
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:29 am

He called out, "Dixie...Hold 'em" and Dixie moved instantly around in between them and Max and assumed a posture that clearly indicated she would be all over the strangers if they made a move towards the house.

Jack froze where he was, he knew about well trained dogs, and a false move might upend everything before it got started.

"You folks just stay where you are, whilst we get things sorted out....otherwise things might get real ugly, real fast....Understood?" Max said in his obvious southern drawl.

“Understood.” Jack replied his arms raised to the sides, the automatic dangling from a finger.

"I...I was just getting my dog," Skye added, her voice reflecting her fear. "We'll go...we were going to camp, but we'll just go, find someplace else." She stayed crouched down, too frightened to even move, much the less stand.

“Mister, we mean no harm. We’re just trying to get clear of what’s happened and what’s coming.” Jack explained. "Like she said, we just stopped to catch some sleep and the dog ran off. Name’s Burton, Jack Burton. This is Skye Azura. We not looking for any problems.”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxwell Eugene Karnage Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Max nodded to himself, even though in the dark the folks in the yard couldn't see him. His mind cranked over fast as he thought the situation out before replying again.

"Alright, I understand....things are real bad out there....You folks alone?....or are their more of you out there that me and my dogs need to be aware of?" Max stressed the word 'dogs' so that the strangers would know that Dixie was not his only dog, but still leaving them not knowing how many dogs he actually had at his disposal.

As the clouds skittered across the sky and moon, a gap opened up and let some dim moonlight flood the yard,.....Max made note that the man was also armed with a handgun which he had held on one finger by the trigger guard, indicating he didn't want any trouble..... the woman appeared to be holding her pistol in a way that indicated little to no experience with guns........He clearly had the tactical advantage over these two at the moment.....but Max knew from long experience that tactical advantage could be lost very quickly....
Maxwell Eugene Karnage
Maxwell Eugene Karnage

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:33 pm

"Just us..." Slowly, Skye stood, but she kept one hand gripped on Chump's collar. The dog was straining to get away, growling low at the animal confronting them, and she didn't want a conflict. "We can find somewhere else to part. I'm sorry we bothered you." She glanced back at Jack and started to back up toward him.
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxwell Eugene Karnage Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:43 pm

"Just us..." Slowly, Skye stood, but she kept one hand gripped on Chump's collar. The dog was straining to get away, growling low at the animal confronting them, and she didn't want a conflict. "We can find somewhere else to part. I'm sorry we bothered you." She glanced back at Jack and started to back up toward him.

"Hold what you got there little lady." Max said calmly...."Let me and the dogs be sure everythings on the up and up, before you all go to moving around to much."

Then Max whispered Shilohs name and as Shiloh looked up at him, pointed off towards the darkness from where the two strangers had come from. "Go check it out boy", he said softly and the big German Shepard streaked off the porch and his black and silver fur was barely distinguishable from the rest of the dim light and shadows, just before the mass of weeds swallowed him up entirely. As he moved through the weeds there was only the occassional sound of a twig snapping......
Maxwell Eugene Karnage
Maxwell Eugene Karnage

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:57 am

"Hold what you got there little lady." Max said calmly...."Let me and the dogs be sure everythings on the up and up, before you all go to moving around to much."

“It’s okay Skye, just stay where you are.” Jack said calmly. If the man meant harm to them, it would have happened already.

Then Max whispered Shilohs name and as Shiloh looked up at him, pointed off towards the darkness from where the two strangers had come from. "Go check it out boy", he said softly and the big German Shepard streaked off the porch and his black and silver fur was barely distinguishable from the rest of the dim light and shadows, just before the mass of weeds swallowed him up entirely. As he moved through the weeds there was only the occassional sound of a twig snapping......

“No problem mister, we’re alone. No one else out there that we know of, like I said, we’re just trying to get away from what’s coming.” Jack stated easily. “Whatever this is, and whoever started it, the cities will be battlegrounds between survivors, unless I miss my guess.”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxwell Eugene Karnage Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:18 am

“No problem mister, we’re alone. No one else out there that we know of, like I said, we’re just trying to get away from what’s coming.” Jack stated easily. “Whatever this is, and whoever started it, the cities will be battlegrounds between survivors, unless I miss my guess.”

"I expect you're right,.......though the cities ain't the only place where bad folks are roaming around." Max replied as he remembered the scene of blood covered snow in front of the barn down in Illinois....For a second the question of Did that make me one of the bad guys? popped into his head, but he shook it off, just as Shiloh bounded back up on the porch and nuzzled his leg with his snout and sat down beside him, indicating no one else was out there lurking in the dark.

Max took a breath and let it out slowly, as he reached a decision......

"Alright....Dixie...c'mere." He said and his little brown coy-dog instantly turned and trotted back to the porch. "You all put those hoglegs away and come on in and warm up a bit." Max said as he swung his rifle muzzle up and away from the strangers and moved out from behind the porch column.....hoping he was making the right decision, but still prepared if he wasn't....
Maxwell Eugene Karnage
Maxwell Eugene Karnage

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:17 pm

Skye glanced back at Jack, then took the opportunity to step back beside him, dragging Chump with her. "I'm sorry," she whispered, knowing that her dog had gotten them into this. "What should we do? Do you think it's safe?" It seemed like it was just the one man with his dogs, and she felt a little better knowing he was alone.
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:45 am

"Alright....Dixie...c'mere." He said and his little brown coy-dog instantly turned and trotted back to the porch. "You all put those hoglegs away and come on in and warm up a bit." Max said as he swung his rifle muzzle up and away from the strangers and moved out from behind the porch column.....hoping he was making the right decision, but still prepared if he wasn't....

Jacks sigh of relief was unheard because it was internal. The flipped the automatic into his palm and slipped it in the waist band of his jeans.

Skye glanced back at Jack, then took the opportunity to step back beside him, dragging Chump with her. "I'm sorry," she whispered, knowing that her dog had gotten them into this. "What should we do? Do you think it's safe?" It seemed like it was just the one man with his dogs, and she felt a little better knowing he was alone.

“No need, he’s a dog, doing what dogs do. He has no idea what has happened. Put the gun away.” He said to her. “Thanks mister. Appreciate it. I know that everywhere and anywhere can be dangerous, but the cities? Well, they’ll be chaotic first, but it’ll spread.> He said taking Skye’s arm and stepping forward. “The dog alright out here with yours?”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxwell Eugene Karnage Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:36 am

“Thanks mister. Appreciate it. I know that everywhere and anywhere can be dangerous, but the cities? Well, they’ll be chaotic first, but it’ll spread.> He said taking Skye’s arm and stepping forward. “The dog alright out here with yours?”

"Yeah, the dog will be alright unless he just gets totally out of hand and pisses Dixie off." Max said as he stepped back and opened the front door of the house, showing its dark interior.

"I've got candles lighted in the kitchen and bathroom, just follow the hallway straight back, you'll pass the bathroom on the right and the kitchen is all the way back."
Maxwell Eugene Karnage
Maxwell Eugene Karnage

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:30 pm

Skye looked up at Jack, then let Chump go before she headed toward the house, staying close to her friend. "I um...what do I do with this?" she asked, indicating the gun she still held. Knowing her luck, if she tried to shove it in her pocket, she'd end up shooting herself!
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:17 am

"I've got candles lighted in the kitchen and bathroom, just follow the hallway straight back, you'll pass the bathroom on the right and the kitchen is all the way back."

“Thanks. This really doesn’t look good, and the rumors . . . well, they’re just unbelievable." Jack reported, accepting the man’s hospitality.

Skye looked up at Jack, then let Chump go before she headed toward the house, staying close to her friend. "I um...what do I do with this?" she asked, indicating the gun she still held. Knowing her luck, if she tried to shove it in her pocket, she'd end up shooting herself!

“Here.” He took the lady Smith, flipped the safety on and stuck it in his back pocket. “We’ll need to work on that one. Can’t have you in this and not knowing how to use a gun.” He led her up on the porch and into the house. “Nice place. Always wanted something like this. Guess that American dream is out the window.”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxwell Eugene Karnage Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:37 am

“Thanks. This really doesn’t look good, and the rumors . . . well, they’re just unbelievable." Jack reported, accepting the man’s hospitality.

"Yeah, it ain't pretty and its only likely to get worse." Max said as he ushered the couple inside, making a mental note that the man now had all the guns...and that his earlier observation about the girl not being all that familiar with guns seemed to be true.

"What'd you all say your names were?" Max asked, though he fully remembered what they had said earlier.....he was just making sure they remembered what they had said ealier.
Maxwell Eugene Karnage
Maxwell Eugene Karnage

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:25 pm

"Yeah, it ain't pretty and its only likely to get worse." Max said as he ushered the couple inside, making a mental note that the man now had all the guns...and that his earlier observation about the girl not being all that familiar with guns seemed to be true.

"Thank you." Skye stepped into the house, glancing around, staying close to Jack. Chump elected to stay with the other dogs.

"What'd you all say your names were?" Max asked, though he fully remembered what they had said earlier.....he was just making sure they remembered what they had said ealier.

"I'm Skye Azuara, sir, from Kattawa, Kentucky. My father...he had a cafe there, but...the virus took him." She offered a weak smile and a shrug.
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:53 pm

"I'm Skye Azuara, sir, from Kattawa, Kentucky. My father...he had a cafe there, but...the virus took him." She offered a weak smile and a shrug.

“Jack, Jack Burton. Was from back up the road, but that’s gone now.” Jack said, considering the man. The last couple of days had been a nightmare, of the worst kind. His family apparently gone. Life as he had known it, gone. The world around him seemingly crumbling before his eyes. “We won’t bother you long, need to be on our way. Have to find someplace safe, out of the way. Appreciate the hospitality.”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  Maxwell Eugene Karnage Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:40 pm

"I'm Skye Azuara, sir, from Kattawa, Kentucky. My father...he had a cafe there, but...the virus took him." She offered a weak smile and a shrug.[/i]

“Jack, Jack Burton. Was from back up the road, but that’s gone now.” Jack said, considering the man. The last couple of days had been a nightmare, of the worst kind. His family apparently gone. Life as he had known it, gone. The world around him seemingly crumbling before his eyes. “We won’t bother you long, need to be on our way. Have to find someplace safe, out of the way. Appreciate the hospitality.”

"Kuttawa eh?...I'm very familar with it....My name is Karnage, Max Karnage, from down in Graves County.....So how did you two end up here?" Max asked them when they entered the kitchen and as he went and peered out the curtain to check on his Suburban.

OOC note: If your character were really from Kuttawa, she would definitely know of Graves County.
Maxwell Eugene Karnage
Maxwell Eugene Karnage

Back to top Go down

Post  SkyeAzuara Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:37 pm

"Kuttawa eh?...I'm very familar with it....My name is Karnage, Max Karnage, from down in Graves County.....So how did you two end up here?" Max asked them when they entered the kitchen and as he went and peered out the curtain to check on his Suburban.

"Good to meet you, Sir." Skye nodded to him, then smiled. "Yes, I know Graves County. We would go to Mayfield now and then. My dad really loved Catfish Corner. He was jealous that he couldn't make catfish that way." Her fond smile quickly faded. "There was nothing left in Kuttawa," she explained, "and Jack was my best bet to get out of there."

OOC note: If your character were really from Kuttawa, she would definitely know of Graves County.
SkyeAzuara
SkyeAzuara

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Burton Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:28 am

"There was nothing left in Kuttawa," she explained, "and Jack was my best bet to get out of there."

"Been down that way a time or two myself, when I brought a load through there. Great food at Catfish Corner. Always stopped there when I could.” Jack replied. “Offered the girl here a ride out of Kuttawa, had hoped to find my family and get them out, but that didn’t work out. So, we’re trying to outrun whatever’s behind us and stay away from the metro areas. Not that I think the rural areas are any safer, but I think we’d stand a better chance the farther out we get.”
Jack Burton
Jack Burton

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next